Doctor gives two thumbs up




Well, we’re back! Our doctor gave us two thumbs up and said that baby is perfectly normal / healthy.


If you’ve never been to a first check-up before, it’s a pre-booked appointment, so you just show up, give your name and info, then go right in. It’s not great if, say, there are two other sets of patients in the waiting lounge who’ve been waiting 20 minutes or so to see someone (not that this was the case for us today or anything).


Next, you’ll probably fill out an info sheet about you, mom, baby and your other kids (if you have them). This is usually given to Mom, but she handed it off to me for reasons still unknown.


Anyway, after the nurse who showed you to your room comes back, you strip baby down to his/her diaper so the nurse can measure baby’s length (head to toe), circumference/diameter of the head (?) and see how much baby weighs. Once that’s done (about 5 minutes if you’re quick), you wrap baby up in the blanket and wait for the doctor to come to your room.



Once the doctor comes to your room, he/she skims through the info sheet and verbally verifies that the information you’ve written down is correct. He/she may make his own notes in the scrawl that is famous for belonging to all doctors (because, when you’re busy saving lives or helping make sure people are healthy, writing isn’t all that important) and then will break out his/her stethoscope and place this on your baby’s chest (maybe back, too… I don’t recall whether ours did that or not).


The doctor also looked at baby’s tongue and checked baby’s eyes. After that, he answered our questions, gave us some sample products and gave us the news (baby’s doing just fine in our case).



Oh, yes… I almost forgot. Baby’s umbilical cord (the part that was attached to her, anyway) fell off a couple days ago. Our doctor told us to clean the area with one wet Q-tip and then apply some polysporin to the area with a 2nd Q-tip 4x/day. (disclaimer: I’m not a doctor, so please don’t do this yourself. Consult your doctor or physican for best medical information.)



We’re back home now (obviously). Mom and baby are having a rest. I’ve got our lunch thawing out in the sink, the washer and dryer running and a small load of clothing waiting for me to fold it to death.

It’s only day 4, but I already feel like I’m beginning to get into the swing of things, largely due to comments & conversations from  / with others and my wife’s response (read: whole-hearted agreement) to said comments.











All right – laundry’s callin’ my name. Later, y’all!

photo credit: Mercedes_Garcia via photopin cc